Red Lentil Dal
This recipe started as an experiment and is by no means authentic, but it’s flavourful and is a hit at home. I hope it will be a hit with you and your family. Enjoy!
>>I like to serve my Red Lentil Dal with a semi spicy Tomato Chokha (relish). Check out the recipe and complete your meal with this smoky and robust sauce.
Red Lentil Dal
- Prep: 10 min
- Total: 30 min
NOTE: This recipe serves about 4 persons if you have it with rice or naan.
- 1 cup red lentil dal (washed)
- 4 big or 6 small cloves of garlic (sliced)
- 2 shallots (sliced)
- 4 curry leaves (mine were dried)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp chili powder (use less if you like it less spicy)
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 ½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- salt to taste
For the Tadka (tempering):
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves (sliced)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 whole red chili pepper
- 1 tsp Nigella seeds
- 4 curry leaves
- Add the oil in a medium sized pot. Then cook the onions, garlic and curry leaves for a few minutes on medium heat until the onions are softened.
- Add the dried spices. When the onions have absorbed the spices then add the washed red lentils and mix well. Cook this for a few minutes before you add the water.
- Bring the dal to a boil and lower the heat. Place a lid on the pot and let the dal simmer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes check the dal and its consistency (it should be thick by now). Then add ¼ cup of coconut cream and stir it well.
- Check your dal for seasoning (I like to add a bit more of garam masala and salt) and set this aside.
- Finish the dal by making the Tadka. Heat up 1 1/2 tbsp of oil in a pan and fry the Tadka ingredients. Pour it over the dal and let it sizzle before you give it a final stir. Serve the dal over hot rice, with naan or just have it like this with a drizzle of coconut cream, fresh coriander and a chutney.
- If you’re making this in advance heat up the dal with a little bit of water and add the Tadka later.
- Replace the cups of water with chicken or vegetable stock. It gives the dal extra flavour.
If you make my recipes please tag me in them and use #thespicedchickpearecipes. I'd love to see what you've made.